Major functions of this department includes:
- Registration of births and deaths immediately they occur
- Preservation, security and custody of births and deaths records
- Processing of vital statistical data
- Issuance of resultant certificates
- Generation of vital statistics
Main strategic objectives of this department are:
- Automate registration of all births and deaths.
- To preserve and secure all births and deaths records.
- Be a single source of Birth and Death registration data.
- To create and maintain a computerized database of all the registered births and deaths
- Process natality (births) and mortality (deaths) statistic
Registration of all current births and deaths occurring in Kenya
- Late registration of births (after expiry of six months from the date of birth) and deaths (after expiry of three months from the date of death)
- Issuance of birth and death certificates
- Registration of births and deaths of Kenyans occurring abroad and issuing of Kenyan birth and death certificates
- Birth re-registration upon legitimacy
- Birth re-registration upon recognition
- Birth registration upon adoption.