The NCM is the product of the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) to implement the African Migration Policy Framework (AMPF) adopted by AU Heads of State and Government in The Gambia in 2006.
IGAD was established in 1996 after member states agreed to strengthen the organization and change its structure and name from the previous Intergovernmental Authority on Drought and Development (IGADD) established in 1986, to IGAD. IGAD has eight members namely, Djibouti, Ethiopia, Somalia, Eritrea, Sudan, South Sudan, Kenya and Uganda.
The IGAD Member States in 2012 adopted a Regional Migration Policy Framework (RMPF) to address migration regional dynamics on the East and the Horn of Africa. Consequently, with a view to actualize the framework, IOM partnered with IGAD and member states to support the establishment and strengthening of National Platforms for Migration Co-ordination Mechanism within IGAD member states.
The IGAD led to the establishment of the Kenya National Coordination Mechanism on Migration (NCM). The main objective of the mechanism is to strengthen migration co-ordination both at the regional and national level.
The NCM is a government led interagency platform was established in Kenya in 2016 in response to regional commitments to IGAD Regional consultative process (IGAD/RCP) with the mandate of steering debate and dialogue on migration related issues in order to realize coherence and inclusive attainment of the country’s migration priorities. Since its establishment, the NCM has been on the forefront of contributing to safe, orderly and regular migration through capacity building, development of appropriate policies and operational guidelines, and promoting dialogue on migration issues.
One of its key achievements include the development of Kenya migration policy and development of the Kenya Institute of Migration Studies (KIMS)
The mandate and objectives of NCM are:
- Bring together migration stakeholders for continuous dialogue and co-operation on migration related issues;
- Foster common understanding among key stakeholders on migration trends;
- Facilitate the formulation of a comprehensive policy on migration management;
- Establish, develop, and implement a monitoring and evaluating framework;
- Establish, develop, and manage information collection and dissemination system;
- Enable stakeholders contribute to the regional and national migration discourse in a coordinated manner;
- Promote, develop and implement international, continental and regional migration-related policies;
- Provide oversight on migration;
- Facilitate mobilization of resources.