Visa is an authorization that allows foreign nationals to enter Kenya for various purposes like tourism, visit, business, resettlement among others.
Administration of visas is provided for by The Kenya Citizenship and Immigration Act, 2011.
The ACT is operationalized through The Kenya Citizenship and Immigration Regulations, 2012. Administration of visas is classified into three broad categories as listed below;
- Category One: Nationals and persons who do not require visa to enter Kenya,
- Category Two: Nationals and persons who may obtain visas on application,
- Category Three: Nationals and persons whose applications are referred to the Director
General of Immigration Services in Nairobi for approval.
For more information, visit evisa.go.ke
Visa issuance has undergone transformation from manual system to online evisa system as from 1st January, 2021. This is in line with the government policy for digitization of service delivery and revenue collection.
Visa Section performs the following functions;
- Policy development and implementation on matters related to visas,
- Processing visa applications,
- Processing applications for Exemption of persons enjoying immunity and Privileges.