In addition to the ordinary passport, Kenyan traveling to EAC Partner State’s can also present a Temporary Permit (TP) for processing for departure. A TP is obtained making an online application through the eCitizen platform. One then prints copies of TP and payment voucher. The TP can be verified / authenticated by an immigration officer at any immigration office or border control. One’s original national identity card or the original birth certificate for minors, and recent passport-size photographs are needed for this process.

Once the Immigration Officer has verified it, he/she fixes the photograph and stamps on it. He / She then signs and security-stamps. The holder also signs his / her part. If the TP holder is travelling, the TP is exit-stamped and he / she allowed to leave.