Permanent Residence is provided for under Section 37, 38 and 39 of the Kenya Citizenship and Immigration Act, 2011.
The section is domiciled within the Directorates head office within Nyayo house and is headed by a Deputy Director of Immigration Services.
The Permanent Residence Status came into existence with the promulgation of the constitution of Kenya, 2010.
The process of acquiring a Permanent Residence:
- Online application
- Submitting the documents to the Directorate of Immigration Services HQ in Nairobi (Nyayo House, Ground Floor South Wing)
- Background checks
- Permanent Residence Advisory Committee interviews and recommendations
- Director Generals’ approval decision
- Notification of approval conveyed via eFNS portal account
- Payment of Permanent Residence issuance fees
- Preparation and issuance of the Certificate
The Permanent Residence application process:
- Create account and apply for Permanent Residence on the EFNS Portal
- Payment of the processing fee
- Upload the required documents
- Download the acknowledgment of application
- The applicant receives an approval to pay the issuance fee once the Permanent Residence application is approved
- Provide proof of payment to the PR office (uploading of deposit slips)
- Issuance of certificate (In-Person)