Border Management Section derives its mandate from the Kenya Citizenship and Immigration Act 2011, section 4(2) c, d, i, under the functions of the Director General:
4(2) (c) Designating, classifying, and gazzetting points of entry and exit;
(d) Border management including the control and regulation of entry and exit of all persons at ports and points of entry and exit;
(i) Conducting research, collection and analysis of data and management of records
Under these functions, Border Management Section performs various roles as listed below:
- Coordination of border services including general management of entry and exit of persons
- Implement and operationalize a standardized reporting tool (SITREP) for all PoEs.
- Representations for the Director on matters concerning borders.
- Management of border data management systems, including to manage, retrieve and analyze and process PISCES and SITREP data to provide management reports on trends (fraud, economic) in movement of persons
- Provide consolidated border daily operational reports to Director of Immigration Services.
- Provide liaison with border management system (PISCES), API, Facial recognition providers.
- Provide liaison with Border Control and Operations Coordination Committee (BCOCC) to promote inter-agency and cross-border cooperation and coordination of border management.
- Conduct border needs assessment.
- Provide advisory and representation on one stop border posts (OSBPs).
Border Management Division works closely with Border Controls and Operations Co-ordination Committee (BCOCC) to;
- formulate policies and programmes for the management and control of designated entry and exit points;
- co-ordinate the exchange of information between the respective agencies responsible for the security and management of the borders at the designated entry and exit points;
- ensure compliance with standards by the respective agencies to ensure the effective and efficient management of operations at the designated entry and exit points;
- exercise oversight authority over the operations of the respective agencies at the designated entry and exit points; and
- perform such other functions as may be conferred on it by this Act or any other written law.